Today marks the 17th Anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. Here are some cheerful ways to remember the victims and families still affected by this tragedy.
- Ceremonies begin in New York City on the 9/11 Memorial Plaza at the World Trade Center site in Lower Manhattan. Family members of victims of the attacks are encouraged to participate in this year's reading of the names. USA Today has live coverages of both ceremonies in New York and Pennsylvania in the player above beginning at 7:00 am ET.
- Visit the 9/11 Memorial & Museum! The memorial features the country's largest man-made waterfalls dramatically cascading into two sunken pools. These pools mark the footprints of the Twin Towers. The names of 2,980 victims have been etched in granite around the edges of the memorial.
- A complete list of the names of all the 2,983 victims can be found at 911memorial.org/names-memorial. See the name arrangement and learn more about each victim using the Memorial Guide while you're there.
- Transformed Overnight: The Impact of 9/11 Programs @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm @ Brooklyn Historical Society, 128 Pierrepont St., Brooklyn, NY 11201
- This year, the National Geographic Channel and the History Channel will devote their entire daytime and primetime schedules to 9/11, including a new History Channel entry, "9/11: Escape from the Towers", beginning at 9 PM ET Tonight.
- The Tribute in Light will return for one night as a tribute to all those who were killed on 9/11. The lights are located at West and Morris streets in lower Manhattan. The lights are lit at sunset on 9/11 will burn brightly until sunrise on September 12.
Getting to the World Trade Center 9/11 Memorial
By subway: • A, C, J, M, Z, 2, 3, 4, or 5 trains to Fulton Street: exit onto Fulton St. and walk west to Church St. Walk south and turn right on Thames St. • 2 or 3 train to Park Place, then exit onto Church St. Walk south and turn right on Thames St. • E train to World Trade Center, then exit onto Church St. Walk south and turn right on Thames St. • R train to Rector Street, then exit onto Trinity Pl. Walk north and turn left on Thames St. • 1 train to Rector Street, then exit onto Greenwich St. Walk north and turn left on Albany St.
By bus: Southbound: take the M5 bus to Thames St. Walk west to Albany St. • Northbound: take the M5 bus to Rector St. Walk north to Albany St.
By PATH train: To World Trade Center
(Images from Getty)