Illegal fireworks being set off on a nightly basis has been widely reported across the country, but now the celebratory explosives have resulted in tragedy.
In the Bronx, a 3-year-old boy was rushed to the hospital with burns after fireworks sailed into his 6th-floor bedroom window. Adiel and his sisters were woken up by the sound of fireworks around 12:30 A.M. Wednesday, cell phone video shows the moment the firework blasted into their bedroom and hit the toddler.
“Heard a baby crying, fireworks came through the window,” the father said. “He got burned all over his arm, and they had to give him at least five stitches. And that was it. I took him to the hospital, myself.”
Illegal fireworks have been an ongoing issue in New York City in recent weeks, there have been some 13,000 reports this year, compared to just over 1,000 in 2019.
The boy is now back home resting with his family. Watch as his sister showed Inside Edition where the fireworks came through the window - the curtains are still burnt.