New York City officials say that there have been a reported 4,000-percent surge in firecracker complaints during the first two weeks of this month, with 849 reports to 311 between June 1 and June 14 — up from just 21 over the same time span last year.
According to the New York Post, the skyrocketing use of illegal fireworks in the city is leading to injuries and two men hurt themselves with errant pyrotechnics in separate incidents early Wednesday, police said.
Bronx cops responded to the first incident shortly before 1 A.M., after reports of shots fired on University Avenue. Police later determined that an 18-year-old man had been struck in the chest while lighting off fireworks. The man was taken to Columbia Presbyterian Hospital, where he was listed in stable condition.
In the second incident, a 33-year-old man was shooting off fireworks inside his Brooklyn apartment around 5 a.m. when one of the missiles backfired and hit him in the chest, police said.